By applying electrical power between the anode and the cathode, a chemical reaction is activated and electrolysis process takes place. Water from the cooling tower pond is circulated through the electrolysis scale remover Reactor-SR. Due to the electrolysis process, the floating calcium molecules get deposited on the cathode and the water returns to the cooling tower, reduction of calcium.
The chemical reaction on SR cathode is as follows:
Ca(HCO3)2+2OH ↓→ CaCO3 + 2H2O + CO3 2
Mg(HCO3)2+2OH ↓→ Mg(OH)2 + 2H2O + CO3 2
Chlorine in water forms hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and hydrochloric acid (HCL). When this solution of HOCl and HCL reacts for a sufficient time with and excess of limestone (calcium carbonate) the reaction is: 2Cl2 + 2H2O + 2CaCO3 _ 2HOCl + CaCl2 + Ca(HCO3)2
Typical mineral scales in hot and cold domestic water distribution systems and also in evaporative cooling systems are largely calcium carbonate. Therefore, injecting a solution, even a dilute one, of HOCl and HCl should produce the same reaction. In the presence of an excess of calcium carbonate (nearly always the case in scaled water distribution and recirculation systems) and an excess of calcium bicarbonate indigenous to the water supply, the HCl would react as follows:
2HCl + Ca(HCO3)2 = CaCl2 + 2H2O + 2CO2 Calcium chloride and carbon dioxide solubility are rather high, so these reactions of HOCl and HCl would tend to decompose calcium carbonate scale to form rather soluble calcium chloride.
The reaction of HCl with bicarbonate alkalinity should result in a reduction of alkalinity of about a 1 ppm HOCl to 1 ppm HCO3- ratio. This would have a rather insignificant effect on pH, but any pH reduction could aid the calcium carbonate resolution rate.
* Accelerated scale precipitation within the reactor.
* Production of active alkaline ionic species - enabling automatic active pH manipulation to control corrosion.
* Continuous online generation of active oxidants - as a replacement to biocides and oxidizing agents.
* Proprietary Ultra-Short Pulsed DC Technology.
* Highly Efficient Oxidation - Reduction Process.
* Cold Electrochemical Activation System.
* Functionalized Electrodes Design.
* Self-Cleaning Electrodes.